Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A trial endured

I was reading one of my newly found favorite blogs (thanks Jenn) and I was so surprised to read that she talked about chronic pain being one of the worst trials (I think she called it the worst) to endure. Of course all things are relative to our experience but I was so struck by that comment.  I have had some say in the past (who don't deal with chronic pain) that it's something they could handle. In my opinion this is a statement I would be careful not to make until you've walked a mile so-to-speak.  I don't deal with what Stephanie from nienie dialogues does by any stretch of the imagination but it really made me think and made me grateful that someone else understands what it's like to hurt a lot. I had another friend a couple of weeks ago say how she just takes for granted that she can get up in the morning feeling great and ready for the day, it's true, I know I used to...not anymore. Now when I have a day when I feel well, I'm so happy, pleasantly surprised, and then I jam pack it full of things so that I can make the most of it (probably not the best idea, but you gotta do what you gotta do, right?)    

Fibromyalgia just doesn't "cut it" for a diagnosis where I'm concerned as my Drs agree, my situation is just too complex, but having a name gives me hope that one day I'll find an answer; we need that as human beings...answers.  

I am grateful, that's what gets me through.  I'm grateful for my loving and patient husband who still looks at me as though I was the most amazing person on the earth (which clearly I am NOT) and constantly tells me why he loves me (don't deserve him...I won the eternal lotto), I am grateful for children who pray every day that mommy will feel better and are loving and caring and healthy.  I am grateful for a Savior who knows what I go through, because clearly, some people do not, and I pray that their lack of understanding will be replaced with compassion and kindness toward others.  I am grateful for my trial of pain and health problems, because without them, I wouldn't understand what others go through, and now I am blessed with that compassion, instead of an attitude of "get over it".  I am grateful for the people who come into my home every week, several times a week, etc whom I pay to help me, because without them, I'd be lost.  I am grateful for my Mom and the family who does support me, as well as caring and kind friends who are truly there, not threatened, not flaky, just there, and happy and confident with who they are.  

I guess that's the answer to that sadness that I feel when I'm throwing up from a kidney infection or ischemic colitis, or a migraine.....gratitude...I have so much to be grateful for. 


3 comments:

Jen and her men said...

Well said, Janine. Hope you survived your busy week!

Lyme Girl said...

I know you will find your answers. We never know what we will be asked to do next. Thank goodness for our faith and the love and support of family. Hope you're having a great day!

Cindy England said...

seriously. how true is this! We always kind of casually say when anything goes wrong "well at least we have our health" and we have NO IDEA what that really means to people who struggle with health issues, day in day out. You are a true inspiration for all of us!! I can't even imagine walking a week in your shoes! Thanks for being such a great friend and example to all of us! xoxo, C

 
arrow-up.gif