Saturday, January 10, 2009

ask and ye shall receive...


so...no heads on the chopping block for this one;SLoW CooKEr OaTmeAL it's a work in progress, but it's yummy, healthy, and hot in the morning without having to do anything except scoop it out! I made this recipe up so here it goes...(like my yummy stock photo by the way?)

5 cups skim milk (yes you can use rice or soy)
1 cup rolled (not quick) oats. If you have the "church issue" make sure they're rolled, otherwise, put some in a 1 gallon zip lock bag and go over them with a rolling pin a few times.
1/4 to 1/3 c brown sugar (to taste) you can also use xylotol, stevia, or honey, but honey will get sticky
1 T butter, melted
1/2 t cinnamon
splash of nutmeg (if you're a fan)
1/4 t salt
1 apple sliced and peeled if you wish

mix all together and set slow cooker on low and let 'er rip for 8-9 hours! serve with extra milk if needed and/or brown sugar for taste. Good luck! There are also some great health food whole grain cereal mixes I've recently come upon that you can successfully cook in the slow cooker....a great way to start the day! I think this might be my theme for the week (or month depending on how busy I am).

1 comment:

Janine said...

Just FYI, stick to the 5 cups (scant) on the milk, I thought I'd be generous with the portions and it was a little mushy...but my kids LOVED it!

 
arrow-up.gif