Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Carmel-by-the-sea




Probably my most favorite vacation spot in the whole world!  I have many font memories of Carmel and I do consider it a second home.  We recently returned from a little trip there and we had a wonderful time.  I went into stores that I had never gone into before.  I also was sad to see some institutions go...Thom Gregg Jewelers...my parents personal jeweler for years, how many mom?  has closed his doors, but is still doing pieces from his home he told my parents.  Howard Portnoy, a close friend who owned a successful art gallery, passed away suddenly from lung cancer but had never smoked a day in his life, he will be missed and is responsible for many of the masterpieces hanging in my parent's home.  It was sad to see those things, among others, gone...but things change.  I've never been a huge fan of the "chain" stores in Carmel.  I like the Carmel Pharmacy that's been there for 35+ years (a gallery next to the pharmacy had this picture...it's the spitting image of my Madelyn!!)
Neilsens market, etc, Carmel institutions, but I decided that I'd visit some different stores.  I walked into a Coach store on Ocean, which turned out to be an outlet, which surprised me.  I was pleasantly surprised however (thanks Megan) because instead of paying retail for bags, they were way discounted!  That was fun!   We visited our friend Roger Budney's gallery...where I fell in love with a little piece called "The Visitor" that will be on my wall soon...it evoked such emotion as to bring tears to my eyes, which, for anyone who knows me, knows that's not too difficult a task.  We dined at the French Poodle, a Carmel institution, finishing with Floating Island dessert, I nearly licked the plate clean!  My favorite NEW experience though was The Carmel Hat Company.  I met Mary San Marçon, who I adore!  She makes the most incredible hats....I had to have five!
 She talked of learning to pray as she made the hats because she realized that the people who were purchasing the hats often were sick with cancer and needed her prayers....what a sweet spirit she is!  

Carmel-by-the-sea is truly magical and though I always hesitate talking about my little secret because I like keeping it a secret, it's like the Gospel, how can you keep something so wonderful a secret when it brings such joy and happiness?


5 comments:

Ashley and Brett said...

That picture of you and cord is so cute!!! Is that really a pic after maddy???!

Janine said...

Thank you. No, I should edit the post, it LOOKS like Madelyn, we were all amazed at the likeness, even to the stance!

Penelope said...

It was truly a wonderful trip and we so enjoyed being in Carmel with you and Cord. I remember our older gentleman neighbor friend in Carmel telling me that he had been all over the world and there was no place in the world that could compare to the beauty of Carmel. No wonder your heart blooms there, Janine. We have such fond memories of our times with the family in our home on the cliff of Carmel. Wonderful memories!!!! I love your new hats....you look adorable.

Cindy England said...

Ohh, we really need to go there for a visit--it sounds so beautiful!

And how sweet are those hats! I'm loving the Effie's dessert w/that dress and hat! so chic!

xoxo, C

Anonymous said...

You two are so cute! Thank you so much for remembering your friends back home and spoiling me with a yummy treat. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the arties and I just adore how kind you are to share your sweet vacation!

 
arrow-up.gif