Saturday, August 8, 2009

Oh what joys we find on Google! (long post)

By raise of hands, who's seen Confessions of a Shopaholic? Well I've been compared to Rebecca Greenwood more than once...by friends and family. I don't take that as a compliment by the way. I am working hard on controlling my spending habits and have done much better in the last couple of years thank you very much!

This morning Cordy and I were up way before the sun and we were lying in bed chatting about canning, school time for the kids, work, and started talking about Linked In. He mentioned that his profile was not showing up even though he had just gone to the trouble of creating it (and it IS trouble for him because he doesn't do social media). I told him I'd check Google and see what came up and so I did. I laughed as his Amazon wish list popped up as did his Facebook profile (which he's never on). Then I saw something I've never seen before (although I've never googled his name); I saw an article in the Des News and I clicked and found something that made both of us giggle and thought I'd share it (mostly for journaling's sake as we use this blog for some of our family memories).

"Magnets, Phones, Pots star at Show"
by Kersten Swinyerd

Janine and Cordale Ottley went to the Deseret News Home Improvement, Remodeling & Decorating Show looking for silver polish. They left with nearly $500 in merchandise — and no silver polish. That $500 represented a little of everything: CD-ROM games for their 3-year-old son, Cayden, a new set of cookware for Janine and a Halloween candle for the whole family. While mom and dad (and grandpa, Doug Hansen, who was visiting from California) browsed through displays on windows, vacuum cleaners, floor tile and pots, Cayden and his 1-year-old sister, Hannah, were occupied by the free candy and food samples from salespeople trying to entice the family to buy, buy, buy.Well, it worked. Janine was taken in by a display of the "Greater Grater," and Cordale muttered good-naturedly that "she'll stop for any kitchen utensil — we don't get out of a home show without at least one kitchen utensil.
They also looked at displays that featured closet organizers, ink-jet cartridges, concrete styling techniques, cellular phones, vinyl fencing, mattresses, food storage, gas fireplaces, magnets, shoe polish and cookbooks. "We have about 30 cookbooks at home," Cordale said. That's probably why a cookbook didn't make it into the back of their stroller.

At the end of their day, they had as many pamphlets and business cards from home-improvement companies as they could ever want — but they also had the ideas they needed to get a start on their house.


Just goes to show, you never know what you'll find out there and what's more, Cord and I have no recollection of her ever following us or writing an article about our shopping habits at the home show. This was a good laugh for both of us.

2 comments:

Cindy England said...

too hilarious!!! the only thing that would have been even better is a nice vintage picture of you guys circa 200_?? :)

at least cord is lucky that his name is unique enough so google finds him...when you google my name, complete nonsense and thousands of cindy englands come up..haha...

Lyme Girl said...

I just recently saw "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and must confess it was my favorite summer movie. I think everyone can relate to some of it's hilarious lines! Loved this one: "If a man doesn't fit, you can't exchange him seven days later for a gorgeous cashmere sweater!" Also: "They didn't even need any money, they had magic cards!"

I googled my name too and was surprised to find a newspaper article about me and Lyme disease and some posts I'd made on Lyme groups! Kind of creepy knowing everything you do is "out there" in cyberspace!

 
arrow-up.gif