Sunday, August 23, 2009

Yummy Stew


As promised! Here is my first recipe. It's easy, and I'm sure that a lot of you have similar recipes, but it's so good that if even one of you makes this as a new recipe for your family it will be worth it.

My Slow Cooker Stew

Serves 8:

2 lbs stew meat
6 potatoes, roughly diced
1 lb baby carrots or 4-6 large carrots, roughly diced
1 onion sliced thinly (optional to taste)
1 (10 3/4 oz can) Cream of Mushroom soup
2 packages brown gravy mix (dry)
2 packages onion soup mix (dry)
8 cups water

In my nifty slow cooker, I brown my meat in my insert, but since most slow cookers are not stovetop worthy, brown your meat in a pan, then transfer to the cooker (and I do think this makes a difference in your stew). Add potatoes, carrots, and onions on top of meat. mix remaining ingredients together in separate bowl and pour over vegetables and meat. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6. Sometimes I cheat and leave it longer on high. This doesn't hurt the stew, it just makes my meat really really tender, which is never a bad thing in my opinion. This stew makes my entire house smell so good! I love this recipe, especially on a day like today (here in Utah, even though it's warm(ish), it's overcast. Enjoy!


2 comments:

Cindy England said...

mmmm! sounds yummy! kay, i am SO INTO these crockpot recipes! keep em coming!!
xoxo, C

Unknown said...

Thanks Janine! I am going to get the ingredients today... :)

 
arrow-up.gif